Swedish meatballs are traditionally served with Lingonberry jam, which I didn’t use since my family will not like it. But, if this is something you will like, add cranberry, red currant or raspberry jelly as well.
I was inspired to make my own version after our lunch at the IKEA. It was interesting that years ago I used to love IKEA’s Swedish meatballs, but now they taste so rubbery and the gravy is way too salty. I guess if you start mostly eating homecooked meals, it’s very difficult to dine outside. You start to compare and complain, right?
This is a Super Easy, Baked version that you can prepare for your family in under an hour. Serve over pasta, potatoes, buckwheat or even rice. Delicious any way you choose to serve it. I hope you will agree that this version is so much better than IKEA’s!
Just a few ingredients and you are ready to start!
Hot to prepare Almost-Swedish Chicken Meatballs
In the large bowl mix all of the ingredients for the Meatballs. Wet your hands and shape the meatballs. Arrange in the baking dish. Add Light Olive oil, sliced onion, mushrooms, and parsley.
Bake meatballs in the preheat to 400F oven until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the Gravy. In the bowl mix, all of the Gravy ingredients listed. When meatballs are finished baking, pour the gravy on top.
Bake uncovered at 350F for another 20 min.
Cook your favorite pasta according to the package and serve meatballs with gravy on top.
Garnish with herbs, green onions and serve.
Enjoy your creation!
- 2 pounds ground chicken (you can use the traditional Pork-Beef mix, if you like)
- 2 Eggs
- ½ Cup Breadcrumbs (I prefer the "Italian Style" since it already has the spices and salt added. If you use Plain breadcrumbs, add more seasoning and salt)
- 1 Small onion, minced
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1-2 Tbs Fresh chopped parsley (or use dried parsley)
- Add to the pan:
- 2 Tbs Light Olive oil
- 1 Large onion, chopped
- 1 Small package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can Cream of Chicken soup (you can use cream of mushroom as well)
- ½ Cup Sour cream
- 1 Cup Milk (used 2%)
- ½ Cup Marsala wine (you can use White, Sherry or Burgundy wine)
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Green onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- Sliced green onion and parsley to garnish
- In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients for the Meatballs.
- Wet your hands and shape the meatballs. Arrange in the baking dish.
- Add Light Olive oil, sliced onion, mushrooms, and parsley.
- Bake meatballs in the preheat to 400F oven until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Gravy.
- In a Large bowl, mix all of the Gravy ingredients listed above.
- When meatballs are finished baking, pour the gravy on top.
- Bake Uncovered at 350F for another 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Cook your favorite pasta according to the package and serve with creamy meatballs.
- Garnish with herbs, green onions and serve.
- Enjoy your creation!