This easy Creamy Cabbage with Chicken and Mushrooms makes for a comforting easy weeknight dinner! One-pot super simple recipe your family will enjoy!
Sautéed cabbage is a frequent ingredient in Ukrainian cuisine, combined with sour cream and fresh dill it makes this dish simply irresistible!
WHY WE LOVE THIS RECIPE:
- Basic ingredients, healthy, and super easy to prepare!
- Cabbage is extremely affordable, versatile, and nutritious. Cabbage stores well in your fridge for 2-4 weeks. You can replace pasta with cabbage.
- Ground Meat is the most flexible ingredient you can have in your fridge. You can use ANY ground meat in this recipe. Just some ideas for you – make Meatballs, Meatloaf, or Patties on a skillet.
- I’ve used baby portabella mushrooms for added flavor, but white mushrooms or cremini would be a great choice as well.
- Sour cream stirred in at the end makes this dish impossibly creamy and extra luxurious! You can also use creme fraiche or heavy cream instead.
- Lastly don’t forget the fresh herbs. Fresh dill is super popular in Ukraine, Russia, and Europe in general. It adds so much flavor to this dish. Make sure and don’t skip it.
How to make Creamy Cabbage with Chicken and Mushrooms VIDEO
As with most of my recipes, this recipe is incredibly FLEXIBLE!
- Add as much or as little sour cream as you like.
- Make it vegetarian and just skip the ground meat. It makes a great side dish for chicken, steak, or pork chops. Lots of flavors come together fast. Or you can use it as a stuffing for pirozhki!
- Don’t like mushrooms? Just skip them.
Create a meal that you and your family will enjoy!
We love GreenWise Ground Chicken from Publix, the consistency and the taste are just like you have grounded the meat yourself.
GreenWise organic chicken is USDA-certified organic, water-chilled, raised with no antibiotics or added hormones, and fed a 100% organic vegetarian diet.
How to make Creamy Cabbage with Chicken and Mushrooms
- 2 pounds ground chicken (or any ground or thinly sliced meat)
- 1 medium green cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced (optional)
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. light olive oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 1 Tbsp. Paprika
- 4 Tbsp. Sour cream (add more if you like)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill or parsley
- salt/pepper to taste
- Heat light olive oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes until it’s just done, breaking up the meat with a spoon.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then take it out of the pan.
- Add butter and caramelize onion for a few minutes.
- Add mushrooms and saute together until juices produced by mushrooms evaporate.
- Add sliced cabbage and shredded carrot. Continue cooking over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Cook until desired tenderness.
- Add minced garlic and paprika. Stir to combine.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Add cooked ground chicken back to the pan.
- Season with additional salt and pepper. Adjust to taste.
- Add fresh dill and serve with some sour cream, if you like.
- It’s delicious hot or cold! Enjoy!
Creamy Cabbage with Chicken and Mushrooms is a delicious healthy comfort food dish that is still low in carbs and gluten-free.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
To reheat it, simply pop it in the microwave or heat it up in a skillet with a little butter.
With Ground Chicken, this recipe makes a full and COMPLETE meal!
This recipe is easy, healthy, and delicious. The sour cream and dill make it so flavorful! Tonight I used an Impossible burger in place of the chicken.
So glad that you liked this recipe, Marcia! Thank you for your feedback!
Wonderfully simple and still pretty healthy! This was the exact recipe I needed for those last ingredients I had in my fridge and it’s still got an ethnic twist! Can I ask – what’s the name of this dish in Ukrainian?
Thank you, Ariel! I know in Europe braised cabbage is quite popular and there are so many variations. This is just my take on healthy and delicious cabbage! Enjoy!
DELICIOUS meal! Simple and easy to make and yet so delicious! I made a couple minor changes based on ingredients I had on hand – substituted ground turkey for ground chicken, used 1 tsp paprika since what I had was smoked paprika. My husband who is VERY picky tried it and then helped himself to a full plate! Definitely will be making again.
Thank you so much, Violetta! Appreciate you taking the time to leave detailed feedback! So happy that you hubby loved this recipe!