This Creamy Mushroom Soup is super easy to prepare! It’s rich, savory, and satisfying comfort food in a bowl! You will want to make this soup again and again. Delicious with a chunk of crusty baguette!
Creamy Mushroom Soup is a very simple soup recipe with lots of fresh mushrooms, onions, potatoes, celery, garlic, and herbs. You can skip potatoes if you like, but I like to add them to my soups since it makes soups heartier and more filling.
I have been looking for these Wild Golden Chanterelle Mushrooms for a long time and I think that’s the first time that I found them at our Costco store. These mushrooms make this Mushroom soup even tastier!
Chanterelle mushrooms are attractive fungi with trumpet-like cups and wavy, wrinkled ridges and best known for being rich in vitamin D. Vitamin D helps to support your bones and acts as an anti-inflammatory agent for your body.
If you can’t find these mushrooms locally, use dry Chanterelle mushrooms and soak them overnight. Or use the best fresh mushrooms you can find at the stores.
How to make Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 24 oz or more mushrooms, sliced (I’ve used Chanterelle mushrooms and Baby Bella)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1/2 cup wine (any)
- 4 – 5 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream (heavy cream or half/half milk)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil and butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Caramelize onion and celery.
- Add potatoes, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook until potatoes are almost soft.
- Mix in flour and thyme.
- Add wine and chicken broth.
You can use any wine for this recipe: White, Marsala, Sherry, Merlot, Pinot Noir or your favorite.
- Bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Cook until potatoes are soft.
- Whisk in sour cream and adjust flavors by adding salt, pepper, and more dry thyme.
- Stir in vinegar, if desired.
- Add fresh herbs: dill or parsley and serve!
(Note: The sour cream must be at room temperature before you add it to the soup. If refrigerated, take it out of the fridge at least an hour before you cook.)
If you prefer smoother consistency soups just transfer soup to a blender in small batches and puree on high speed until smooth and thick.
My family likes chunkier consistency soups. Personal preference here.
Loaded with healthy ingredients this comforting Creamy Mushroom Soup is perfect for the cooler weather.
I’m making this today and will be using rehydrated gourmet mushrooms. Any idea what the measurement of dried would be?
This looks delicious and easy to make! I love creamy soups like this one! I’ll have to try the recipe soon!
Thank you so much! Enjoy!
This looks really good.
Thank you so much, Christine!
Hi! I wish you had precise times of hold long to boil the soup- it is a bit confusing
Hi Ana, I wrote: “Cook until potatoes are soft.” That’s when your soup is ready to be enjoyed!
Question – what is the carbs, fat, protein count per serving
Unfortunately, I don’t have this information.
Comment *Hi if I can’t use wine what do you recommend water chicken broth
Donna, red and white wine vinegar are great substitutes for wine in cooking. Or you can omit them as well.
Comment * Oh boy I have to give this one it looks yummy.
Thank you, Sharen! Enjoy this recipe!