This Delicious Eggplant Potato Cake will be a Stunner on your table! The Perfect Vegetarian dish to bring to a Potluck!
Hubby Loved the taste and obviously how Beautiful this looks (Right?).
He asked where I got this recipe and I said that it just popped into my mind.
He asked: “Is that what vegetarians eat? Not bad!”, and asked for Doubles!!!
The next day I packed it for his lunch and he said it was delicious cold as well.
The one below, I have baked for the Mother’s Day Brunch. I had small decorative eggplants from Costco on hand and was able to decorate it pretty for the occasion.
I have brought this cake to several Potluck dinners and it was a Big Success!
This is a totally flexible recipe.
You can make it vegetarian, as I have done, or add a meat layer, that I’m planning to try next time as well. You can sauté ground meat with onions and add your favorite spices. I would make the potatoes layer, followed by the meat layer and eggplant layer on top.
This cake stores and reheats in the microwave so well. I had a big slice today and it’s SUPERB!!! You can serve it with a scoop of sour cream or Fage Greek plain yogurt.
So Delicious and HEALTHY! I rarely bake and if I do, it’s almost always SAVORY dishes with lots of vegetables.
How to make Eggplant Potato Cake
- Peel, wash and shred the potatoes or mash boiled potatoes. Use baking potatoes or red potatoes.
- Add 1 egg, 2 Tbsp. Sour Cream, 1 Tbsp. Cream Cheese, 1 Tbsp. dill paste (fresh dill or dill weed), salt/pepper.
- You can mix it with the shredded potatoes in the bowl or right in the skillet.
- Cook on Med-Low in Olive oil until potatoes are almost cooked. Adjust the flavor. Transfer to a baking dish.
- Add more Olive oil to the skillet, sliced red onion, and eggplant, sauté on Med-Hi until eggplant is soft and reduced in volume.
- Add 2 Tbsp. Sour Cream (or plain yogurt), 1 Tbsp. Cream Cheese, 1 Tbsp. Dill Paste, 1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder, salt/pepper.
- Mix together and adjust to taste. Transfer to the baking dish and add on top of the potatoes.
- Decorate as you like. I had small eggplants on hand that I’ve sliced thin and sauteed in the skillet first.
- Add minced dill or parsley on top.
- Bake in the Preheated at 350F oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let it cool slightly and then you can slice and enjoy your cake.
- Another decorating idea is to slice peppers and tomato, sauté on Med-Hi until almost cooked. Season with Garlic powder, Onion powder, and salt/pepper to taste.
- Transfer to the baking dish and ad on top of the eggplant mix.
- Serve with Sour Cream or Plain Greek yogurt.