When I was planning to cook for Mother’s Day, I needed a “star dish” to serve – this was IT! When you buy a good Rack of Lamb, as we did at Costco, there are so many delicious ways of preparing it. Greek Lamb Chops is our favorite!
Since I love Mediterranean cuisine, I’ve decided to make Greek Lamb Chops with plenty of homegrown Oregano! And those who follow my recipes know how obsessed I’m with tomatoes, especially cherry or grape tomatoes. They add so much flavor and color to any dish. I have sliced a few portabella mushrooms since they go PERFECTLY with meat and flavor the sauce!
While shopping at Costco we picked up a Fancy Rack of Lamb for me to cook for Mother’s Day! We usually buy Lamb Loin chops but decided to splurge this time. Actually, this recipe will be perfect for any steak, lamb, beef or pork.
Marinate Lamb Chops
All you need is a good quality Olive oil, Garlic, Lemon juice, plenty of Oregano and a dash of salt and pepper. I have used some homegrown Oregano I have bought recently, but you can use dry oregano as well.
Pat dry Rack of Lamb and slice into individual chops, removing some of the fat. A Rack of lamb is the entire set of ribs, usually 8 chops.
Mix all of the marinade ingredients and rub it into the meat on all sides. Marinate chops covered in a deep dish for an hour to overnight.
How to cook Lamb Chops
You can use any skillet, but if you use cast iron or stainless steel pan as I have used for this recipe. Just remember with cast iron or stainless steel you HAVE TO PREHEAT pan until it’s very hot in order for it to be non-stick. Once the pan is hot and almost steaming, add Light Olive oil and place your chops. You should hear a wonderful SEARING sound.
I was able to fit all of the chops on my All-Clad stainless steel pan because it’s pretty large, 14″ wide flat base, but it’s best to cook in batches.
Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, depending on thickness until done to your liking. Check the temperature with your thermometer.
Chops Temperature Guide
Medium Rare: – 125°F
Medium: – 135°F
Medium Well: Slightly pink center – 150°F
If you plan to add sliced mushrooms, as I have, add them when you flip the chops to sear on the other side, they cook very fast. Add tomatoes and the rest of marinade during the last minute.
Let the meat rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Garnish with lemon slices, sliced green onion, and oregano.
The Greek Lamb Chops go well with roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes, quinoa, couscous or rice.
- 1 Rack of Lamb (8 to 9 single rib lamb chops)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano or 2 tsp dry oregano
- dash of salt and pepper
- portabella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- tomatoes, sliced
- green onion, sliced
- lemon slices for garnish
- Pat dry Rack of Lamb and slice into individual chops, removing some of the fat.
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients and rub it into the meat on all sides.
- Marinate chops covered in a deep dish for an hour to overnight.
- Pre-heat a cast-iron/stainless steel pan over high heat.
- Once hot add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Place the lamb chops in the hot pan then sear for 3 to 4 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Flip, add sliced mushrooms and cook until the desired doneness.
- Add tomatoes and the rest of marinade during the last minute.
- Once done, transfer the chops to a plate and let them rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with lemon slices, sliced green onion, and oregano.
If you love this recipe you are going to love