What is so distinct about this coffee cake is the Wonderful Cheesecake-like texture, moist and crumbly! This is going to be your favorite coffee cake recipe ever!
I know that so many baking recipes call for a Vanilla extract, but for me, I do not taste any difference if I add this 1 teaspoon or don’t. But, if you add 1 Tbsp. Baileys’ Crème Brulee coffee creamer instead of the vanilla, you Definitely notice the Sweet Aroma. Once I discovered it, just by experimenting with different ingredients, I stopped using the vanilla extract.
This cake fits my criteria for choosing the Least Amount of Calories/Carb and still have a Great taste. My criteria: under 2 Cups of Flour, under 1 cup of sugar and under 1/2 cup of butter. Well….we are almost there with this one. LOL Sometimes you just have to “splurge”! “All in Moderation” is my Motto! Agree?
- 1½ Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1½ Tsp. Baking powder
- ¼ Tsp. Baking soda
- dash of Salt
- 1 Egg
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- ½ Cup Butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp. Baileys' Crème Brulee coffee creamer (or 1 tsp. vanilla extract)
- ¾ Cup Buttermilk
- For the Cream Cheese Filling
- Option 1:
- 3 ounces Mascarpone cheese
- 3 ounces Philadelphia Whipped mixed berry cream cheese
- 1 Egg
- Option 2:
- 6 ounces regular cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Egg
- ½ Tsp. Vanilla extract or Creamer
- Fruit layer (I've used peaches, blueberries, and some raspberries)
- Spray your baking dish with a non-stick spray or line the bottom with a parchment paper. Lightly flour the pan.
- In a large bowl, combine: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together: egg, sugar, butter, creamer and buttermilk.
- Gently fold dry and wet ingredients. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl prepare cream cheese layer. Whisk or beat together option 1 or 2, until creamy. Set aside.
- Spread HALF of the batter into the bottom of a prepared baking dish. (optional: I put some fruit on the bottom and then pour the batter).
- Pour cream cheese mixture over the top spreading evenly.
- Add a layer of Fruit.
- Top with the leftover batter.
- Decorate the cake as you like. (optional: I've added crushed pecans and white chocolate)
- Bake in the Preheated to 375F oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Time depends on your baking dish and your oven. Mine was ready in 30 minutes.