What is so distinct about this Peaches and Cream Cheese Coffee Cake is the wonderful cheesecake-like texture! It’s moist and crumbly! This is going to be your favorite coffee cake recipe EVER!
I have made this cake recently with my son for Mother’s Day! He Loves helping me in the kitchen. We had so much Fun assembling the layers. We make breakfast together on the weekends, often. Love it!
This cake fits my criteria for choosing the less amount of calories/carbs (relatively speaking) and still have great taste.
My criteria: under 2 cups of flour, no more than 1 cup of sugar, and under 1/2 cup of butter.
Well….we are almost there with this one. LOL, Sometimes you just have to “splurge”!
“All in Moderation” is my Motto!
How to bake Peaches and Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- 1 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Baking powder
- 1/4 Tsp. Baking soda
- dash of Salt
- 1 Egg
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Butter, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 Cup Buttermilk
- For the Cream Cheese Filling
- Option 1:
- 3 ounces Mascarpone cheese
- 3 ounces Philadelphia Whipped mixed berry cream cheese
- 1 Egg
- Option 2:
- 6 ounces regular cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Egg
- ½ Tsp. Vanilla extract
- Any Fruit layer (I’ve used peaches, blueberries, and some raspberries)
- Spray your 8 or 9-inch springform pan (if you don’t have a springform, you can use a regular round 8 or 9-inch cake pan) with a non-stick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. Lightly flour the pan.
- In a large bowl, combine: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together: egg, sugar, butter, creamer, and buttermilk.
- Gently fold dry and wet ingredients. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl prepare a cream cheese layer. Whisk or beat together option 1 or 2, until creamy. Set aside.
- Spread HALF of the batter into the bottom of a prepared baking dish. (optional: I put some fruit on the bottom and then pour the batter).
- Pour cream cheese mixture over the top spreading evenly.
- Add a layer of fruit.
- Top with the leftover batter.
- Decorate the cake as you like. (optional: I’ve added crushed pecans and white chocolate)
- Bake in the Preheated to 375F oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Time depends on your baking dish and your oven. Mine was ready in 30 minutes.
WHY DO THEY CALL IT COFFEE CAKE?
Coffee Cake is a term given to foods that are intended to be eaten with coffee or other brunch-type foods.
Imagine the little cakes that you would serve at a tea party or having coffee with a group of friends.
There is generally NO COFFEE in the actual cake! It often refers to a sweet cake, with a drizzled white icing or crumb topping, and is usually eaten with coffee.
You can use other fruit in this recipe but I do love baking with peaches and plums the most!
And since summertime is abundant with fruit, grab a few extra peaches for this coffee cake. You won’t be disappointed!
Then sit down, relax and enjoy a piece of this wonderful Peaches and Cream Cheese Coffee Cake!