This Ricotta Chocolate Cake is the most delicious Italian-inspired dessert. The rich Ricotta provides the cake with perfect moisture and density and the Chocolate adds so much to the flavor! It’s like a combination between a cake and a cheesecake.
When you add Ricotta cheese to the recipe your cake will resemble a classic pound cake.
When you first bite into this cake, your first thought: “This is Copycat Starbucks Marble Loaf Cake!“
It does taste very similar and it’s my favorite cake from Starbucks! We would always order it at the Mall when I used to shop with my son. He loved it as well!
With this cake recipe, you can add the chocolate layer as you like: on the top, bottom or just swirl in.
Ricotta Chocolate Cake makes a great breakfast/dessert cake with a soft, delicate, melt-in-your-mouth texture.
I like that cheesecakes made with Ricotta are lighter and not as rich. It adds creaminess to desserts that aren’t overly sweet.
How Do You Make Ricotta Chocolate Cake?
For best results use all ingredients at room temperature.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light tasting olive oil or melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1 bar (4 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- In a small (microwavable) bowl, melt semi-sweet chocolate 30 seconds at a time. Remove and add cocoa powder and milk. Stir well to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until smooth.
- Add ricotta cheese, light olive oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk until an even consistency.
Use good quality Chocolate. We love Ghirardelli Premium Baking Bar Semi-Sweet Chocolate and Ghirardelli Unsweetened Dutch Process Cocoa.
You can mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl or just add them on top of your wet ingredients.
I find it easier to use just ONE BOWL (less cleaning!)
- Add flour, baking powder, and a dash of salt.
- Gently combine until just blended.
- Add the melted chocolate layer. You can add the chocolate layer as you like: on the top, bottom or just swirl in. (do not over mix).
- Spray Bundt pan with Non-Stick spray (or brush with oil).
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated to 350 degrees oven until golden brown and a tester comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Time depends on your oven and your pan.
- Let cool, then remove from pan.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Baking with ricotta cheese is an easy way to add moisture and texture to your baking desserts.
You can also substitute ricotta in your baked goods whenever a recipe calls for sour cream or yogurt.
Refrigerate covered. The cake is enjoyable for 3-5 days
This Ricotta Chocolate Cake is absolutely scrumptious and you will want to make it again and again!