The taste of childhood with a modern twist – flower-shaped Lazy Dumplings!
During our recent shopping trip to the Russian store, I have picked up a package of White Cheese – Tvorog planning on making Blueberry Syrniki (Russian cheese pancakes) Творожные Сырники but decided to make ленивые вареники instead.
In Russian and Ukrainian cuisine these gnocchi-shaped cheese dumplings are made by mixing tvorog (farmer cheese) with egg and flour into a quick dough.
Then the cheese-based dough is formed into a long sausage and cut diagonally into gnocchi.
I’ve decided to make this even more eye-pleasing by using a flower mold that I’ve had on hand. You can use any cute cookie cutter you have at home or make the traditional gnocchi shape.
How to make Lazy Dumplings
You will need just 7 ingredients shown below to make these Delicious Lazy Dumplings.
- In a large bowl, mash 1 pound (16 oz.) White Cheese (farmers cheese, Tvorog) or two 7.5-ounce Friendship brand Farmer cheese packets. Then add the 2 eggs.
- Add 2 Tbsp sugar, a dash of salt, 3 Tbsp. melted butter and 1 Tbsp. flavored creamer (or 1 tsp. vanilla extract). Mix well.
During my many experiments, I found that flavored creamers add a lot of taste to baked goods.
I always have coffee creamers on hand since I like to add them to my coffee daily!
Please give it a try and see if you agree!
- Add 1 Cup of Flour and combine the dough. The dough will be sticky.
- Spread the dough on a floured board, sprinkle the top with additional flour and roll out about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a cookie cutter or roll the dough into a log and cut it into 1-inch slices.
- You can boil Lazy Dumplings or you can prepare them the night before as I have done and place them in the fridge with plastic wrap on top so they don’t dry up. You can take them out in the morning, allow them to sit on the counter for 20 – 30 minutes to come to room temperature.
- Boil water with a pinch of salt and 1 Tbsp. of butter in a pot.
- Cook in batches.
- Gently drop several dumplings in.
- When they float to the top, gently boil for 2 minutes and remove them with a slotted spoon onto a serving plate.
- Add a tablespoon of butter and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of sour cream or a homemade fruit jam! YUM!
These Lazy Dumplings make the perfect Easy and Delicious breakfast!
I hope you will give this recipe a try!