Russian Chicken Stew, Zharkoe (Жаркое) is a Traditional Hearty Russian meat and potatoes stew. You can use any meat that you prefer for Zharkoe – e.g. beef, pork, lamb, chicken.
This is another – One-Dish Meal, that I think many will Enjoy!
As with many recipes, I like to start the browning process on the skillet: it creates a crust that seals in the moisture and adds more flavor. I prefer to cut my veggies into bite-size pieces.
It’s a personal preference, of course. But to me, it looks more refined, like someone took great care to slice them just right.
HOW TO MAKE Russian Chicken Stew (Zharkoe)
Ingredients for the Chicken Stew.
- Pat dry the meat. Make your own chicken rub by combining: garlic powder, onion powder, poultry seasoning, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Rub the chicken pieces and let them absorb the flavor.
- Meanwhile, dice and brown one large onion in a deep pan. Transfer to a baking dish.
- Turn heat to med-hi, add more oil, then add the thighs. Cook for 5 – 10 min on each side until brown.
- Add sliced mushrooms and carrots. Continue cooking for a few more minutes. Transfer to a baking dish.
- Add the potatoes and peppers to the pan. Dust with spices listed above. Cook for a few minutes.
- It doesn’t have to be completely cooked since you will continue cooking in the oven. Transfer to a baking dish.
- Dissolve the corn starch in the chicken broth and add to the pan. Add the dill paste and bay leaves.
- Bring to boil and turn off the heat. Pour on top of the chicken and potatoes.
- Bake in the Preheated 350F oven Covered with foil for 40 min.
- Remove the foil and continue baking for another 20 min. Enjoy!
Serve and Enjoy!