It looks so Beautiful served, as you can see, yet easy enough to make for a weeknight dinner. You can adjust the flavor to your liking by making it more spicy or less. That’s the beauty of cooking at home is that you can control the flavors.
This is not authentic Spanish Paella, but an easy version of the classic Spanish dish. Delicious enough to serve to company, if desired.
This recipe uses a saffron rice mix, that you can find by the other rice mixes in your local grocery store. I have used both Vigo and Mahatma brands equally well.
You can vary the quantities of seafood and also use crab, crayfish, or lobster (boil them separately). I have bought these Mussels at Super Walmart, but I’m sure you can find them at many of your local supermarkets or use raw mussels and precook them.
Bring chicken stock and wine to boil. Add package of Vigo Yellow Rice. Stir well while boiling for 1 minute and spread the rice out evenly in the pan. Cover the saucepan tightly and let simmer, undisturbed, for 20 – 25 minutes. Move the pan around and rotate so that the rice cooks evenly.
When rice is cooked (taste test) add cooked mussels, shrimp, corn and peas on top. Cover and simmer for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with chopped parsley.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed to a paste or finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- ½ large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1(10 ounces) package saffron rice mix (I like Vigo Yellow Rice)
- 2 tbsp butter or 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups water or low sodium chicken stock, plus more if needed
- ½ cup dry white wine
- black or red pepper to taste
- cooked mussels
- cooked shrimp
- In large, deep skillet (with lid), heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and pepper and sauté until softened.
- Add tomato and garlic, cook for 2 minutes.
- Bring chicken stock and wine to boil.
- Add package of Vigo Yellow Rice.
- Stir well while boiling for 1 minute and spread the rice out evenly in the pan.
- Cover the deep skillet tightly and let simmer, undisturbed, for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Move the pan around and rotate so that the rice cooks evenly.
- When rice is cooked (taste test) add cooked mussels, shrimp, corn and peas on top.
- Cover and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.