We bought Shrimp Tempura at the Japanese restaurant a few times and always loved the taste, I had no idea how easy (and so much cheaper) it is to make them at home!
Shrimp Tempura are usually served with vegetables like zucchini, squash, onions, and are deep-fried in a crispy batter.
Originally, I was planning to make Shrimp Tempura just for the Sushi Roll, but we ended up loving them so much on their own!
This is definitely one of the ways I will serve the Shrimp from now on!
One of the reasons I started my blog is to share the SIMPLIFIED Methods of cooking.
If you start looking for Shrimp Tempura recipes, many make it sound so complicated, but the batter couldn’t be more simple: COLD WATER, FLOUR, EGG!
Obviously, I like to add my personal touch to every recipe and I started with these 3 ingredients for the first couple of shrimp and then added: paprika and Parmesan cheese. “Totally” Japanese ingredients! LOL
But why not?
Why not experiment and have fun cooking and creating something new, right?
How to make Crispy Shrimp Tempura
Keep all the ingredients (flour, water, egg) cold. Tempura batter is lighter and fluffier than breadcrumbs.
The Tempura batter may be used for other recipes. Try it with vegetables. Or use the same batter and make chicken fingers!
- Prepare the shrimp: peel and devein but keep the tails on.
- Cut 3 or 4 small incisions (do not cut too deep) crosswise on both the top and bottom of the shrimp and very lightly press on the shrimp to stretch it. You will hear a slight “snap”.
- Pat the shrimp dry between paper towels.
- Use large or jumbo size shrimp.
- Heat skillet to a medium-hot, consistent temperature.
- Dip shrimp into the batter and fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Fry in batches.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
Serve with Yum-Yum sauce or your favorite sauce!
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and a star rating below!