I had an Absolute pleasure of cooking and decorating this cake with my son the other day. From the ingredients, it is pretty basic.
We just LOADED it up with TON of different fruit as you can see and put Sugar Glaze Icing on top. WOW! My son took a bite, opened his eyes real wide and couldn’t speak for a minute, then he said: “Mom, you can win any contest with this one!”. I told him that I did, on Cooking Time couple of years ago.
Optional: Quick Sugar Icing (makes about 1 cup of frosting)
– 1 Cup Powdered sugar
– 4-6 Tbsp. Milk
– ½ Tsp. Vanilla extract
As you can see by ingredients it’s Very Basic and low in sugar, flour and oil. So, on rare occasions that I do bake – this is Mostly Requested One! You can use this recipe for a cake or make dozen regular size muffins with this recipe. Give this a Try, you won’t regret it! I have used the following fruit. On the bottom: all baking dish covered with Blueberries and Cherries. On top decorated with: Peaches, Plums, Apricots, Blueberries, Cherries and Grapes. A feast for the Eyes and the Taste Buds, right?
Notes: My personal Favorite that I use instead of Vanilla Extract since it gives my more flavor is 1 Tablespoon of my Favorite Coffee Creamer: Bailey’s Creme Brulee!
I did not specify the Amount for the Fruit before, since every time I’ve used different amount and this recipe is so forgiving with no matter how much fruit you mix in. If you use “heavier” fruit, add it to the bottom of the baking dish and then pour batter on top. I’ve used anywhere from about 2 Cups to 4 Cups when I’ve used a cookie sheet. The time will need to be adjusted. bake for 25 minutes and check for doneness. It is very difficult to give specific time since it depends on what type of dish you bake in.
I have included many pictures to give you an idea for the design for your cake.
I have used this Beautiful Bavaria Bundt Pan by Nordic Ware that I have bought on Amazon along with another one that I use all the time. You can purchase here:
(Crafty Cooking by Anna is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com)
- 1½ cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 large Egg
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Milk, use 2% Milk
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 to 2 cups Any Fruit, sliced
- Non-stick Spray
- In one bowl mix: flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together: egg, sugar, milk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Fold into flour mixture. Wash and dry the fruit and dust with flour before adding it to the batter. You can fold the fruit gently into the batter, or add it on the bottom and pour batter on top. Either way works.
- Spray your baking dish with Non-Stick spray (or brush with oil) and dust with flour on the bottom. Pour batter into prepared pan. Decorate as you like.
- Bake in the Preheated at 400°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden. Time depends on your oven and your baking dish.
- Last 5 minutes of baking is Very Important. It is best when cakes are not overbaked. Judge by color on the edges and by inserting skewer in the center of the cake, should come out clean.