My family loves the taste of the classic Cabbage Rolls, a traditional Eastern European dish that is delicious but labor-intensive. I do make them on occasion, but this Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Meatballs version is so much faster and easier with the same great taste that we all love!
You can make Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Meatballs with ground beef, pork, or ground chicken as we prefer.
I did not add the rice to the meatballs in order to cut down on the calories, but if you like you can add cooked rice to the mix.
How to make Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Meatballs
- In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients for the Chicken Meatballs. Wet your hands and shape the meatballs. Place on the foil or parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated at 400F oven for 20 – 25 minutes, depending on your oven and the size of your meatballs.
While meatballs are baking prepare cabbage.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook until onion softens 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in red cabbage and saute for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and begins to brown.
- Add 1/2 cup Chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Prepare the sauce.
- In a medium-size saucepan prepare the creamy tomato sauce.
- Add pasta sauce and chicken broth. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add sour cream mixed in with corn starch.
- Add fresh dill and stir together.
- Serve warm on top of your cabbage and meatballs.
We love Daisy brand sour cream! Always creamy and fresh. I use it to thicken and flavor sauces and gravy. It doesn’t water down like other sour creams after you open it. And it has great taste!
Serve Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Meatballs with extra sauce since you will LOVE IT!