Easy Home Fries (Домашняя Жареная Картошка)! You will never get tired of this simple, yet delicious and satisfying side dish!
Growing up during the Soviet Union time, in a poor family (we had an Outhouse for many years, I think that qualifies as Poor, right?)
The only thing that was Abound – were the Potatoes! We would store them for the winter months.
Home Fries were the staple food in most homes.
I can remember coming home from school and the aroma of fried potatoes from neighbors’ windows fill the air. Even now, when making Home Fries for my family, it brings up a warm and comforting feeling.
How to make Home Fries Video below
How to make Home Fries
- Olive oil
- Add Light Olive oil or Vegetable Oil (I use a flavored Garlic Oil; just add a tablespoon of Garlic powder to the Olive oil) and heat the skillet to Med-Hot.
- Slice potatoes, the size determines how long they will cook. Tip: if you cut the potatoes too thin, they tend to stick together. You can slice them any way you like. I like to cut mine smaller and it takes me about 20 minutes from start to finish.
- Add potatoes, season with salt/pepper/garlic powder, optional dill weed. Fry, without moving, until the underside of potatoes turns golden brown, about 5 minutes or so.
- Turn to another side, season and cook for a couple of minutes and then toss around so they brown a bit more on all sides.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet with the lid and let steam through for about 3 to 5 minutes. Check often and flip the potatoes.
- Remove the lid, increase the temperature and cook potatoes for another 5 minutes, turning frequently until browned and crisp on all sides.
- Add oil as needed so home fries don’t stick together. They will have a crust on the outside and will be very soft on the inside.
What to serve with Home Fries?
My “Sure Thing Dinner”: Moist and Delicious Russian Chicken Kotletki and Home Fries! I know For Sure my family will enjoy it.
Since my son prefers Plain home fries, this is how I serve them.
But, you can add bacon, caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, green onions, peppers.
As you can see in the pictures, Home Fries make an Excellent side dish.