I make these Russian Style Chicken Patties – Kotletki (Куриные котлеты, котлетки) often! Which Russian home doesn’t, really??? They are Absolutely Delicious!
When I started making my own kotletki years ago, I have been staying as close to the traditional recipe as possible by soaking the bread in milk first.
But, since I LOVE experimenting in the kitchen and always looking for ways to improve the recipes and add more taste I came up with this foolproof method that I have been following for years!
The “secret” to making moist kotletki is adding some creaminess: sour cream or mayo (for some reason I didn’t like mayo, but it’s up to you), yogurt, buttermilk, or even cream cheese, and steaming Kotletki.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN KOTLETKI Video Recipe below
My personal preference is to make smaller Kotleti as you see in the video. It makes it easier to shape them, flip them, and in my opinion they look more elegant served. That’s why I always make Kotletki!
I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as my family does.
I have included many serving suggestions at the end of the video.
You can make your own ground meat, but it takes time and then extra cleaning. But, by all means, use the method that works for you!
- In a large bowl, add ground chicken (or ground turkey), bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic and onion powder, eggs, sour cream, oil, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Add oil to a non-stick skillet. Heat to Medium-Low.
- Take a small bowl and add water. Moisten your hands, take a spoonful of the meat mix and shape into patties.
- Fry on Med-Low for a few minutes on each side until browned, but not burned.
- Reduce heat to Low. Cover skillet with the lid. Let steam for about 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the size. The patties should be browned on the outside and moist on the inside. Remove to a warm plate.
- Wipe the skillet after the first batch and follow with another.
I have made this recipe image to print for myself and display in my kitchen! You can do the same.
Print this recipe to keep
I’ve been asked for the recipe for the Mushroom Julienne Sauce featured in one of the pictures. Recipe below.
How to make Mushroom Julienne Sauce:
– 1 Tbsp. Butter
– 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
– 1 small Onion, diced
– 1 small package Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
– 1 Tsp. Garlic, minced
– 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
– 3 Tbsp. Flour
– 1 1/2 cups Low-sodium Chicken broth
– 2 Tbsp. Sour Cream
– dill, optional
– salt/pepper to taste
In a medium pan, melt butter and olive oil.
Add onions and cook for 3 minutes over Med-Hi heat.
Add sliced mushroom and continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes.
Add minced Garlic sauté for about 30 seconds.
Stir in Worcestershire Sauce.
Sprinkle flour over the mushroom mixture and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add chicken broth and then sour cream, stirring constantly.
Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Add minced dill. Adjust to taste by adding salt and pepper.
Note: You can add 1/2 Cup of grated cheese at the end if you like and skip on the salt.
Serve Chicken patties (Kotletki) with steamed broccoli.
Serve Chicken patties (Kotletki) with Sauteed Vegetables
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and heat.
- Add the garlic and saute, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add all of the vegetables you have on hand and cook until just starting to wilt about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add your favorite spices and cook to desired doneness.
- Remove from heat and serve.