I have made this recipe many times and every time I make it a little different (see the pictures shown). Sometimes I add the eggplant slices when I have on hand, others just with tomatoes that add moisture needed to make cabbage soft in addition to sour cream or yogurt. Love it!
Below are the approximate measurements. You may need more sour cream/yogurt mix, depending on how many cabbage and eggplant slices you have. The sauce itself is So Delicious you can serve it with the roasted cabbage on the side. Great any time of the day and can be packed for Healthy Lunch to work.
Design as you like!
- Red or Green Cabbage, medium or small size, sliced into ½ inch circles
- Eggplant, medium size
- Green onions
- Sour Cream/Yogurt sauce:
- 5 Tbsp. Sour Cream (or plain Greek yogurt for Healthier option)
- 2 Tbsp. Whipped Cream cheese, plain or with chives
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil or melted Butter
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Dill, diced or 2 Tbsp. Dill paste
- 3 Garlic cloves, diced or 1 Tbsp. Garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. Wine Vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar, Rice Vinegar, Salad Vinegar)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Bacon bits
- Salad peppers (optional)
- Make the Sour Cream/Yogurt sauce by combining the ingredients listed above. Adjust the flavor to your liking.
- Spread the mix with a spoon or a brush.
- Slice cabbage, eggplant, tomatoes and green onions.
- Slice the cabbage into ½ inch thick circles or any shape you'd like.
- Bake on the foil or parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- If baking on foil lined, add Olive oil, salt/pepper to the bottom of your baking dish.
- Lay cabbage slices and spread the Sour Cream/Yogurt mix on top.
- Add eggplant slices, spread the mix on top and finish the stack with the tomato slices.
- Add Bacon bits and additional green onions on top.
- Add peppers, if using.
- Bake Uncovered in the Preheated at 400F oven for about 50 minutes. Time depends on your oven and the size of your stacks.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and fresh dill.
- Make extra sauce and serve with roasted cabbage.